I love good food and delicious desserts but eating in moderation with a logical mindset is important to stay happy and healthy.
I love cooking and think the best ingredients are cream, salt and butter and once you make a great meal there is no point in counting calories, just enjoy the deliciousness . I absolutely hate light/diet products as they are filled with chemicals and actually end up being worse for you, so do not be fooled by all marketing gimmicks. Rather, enjoy all foods in smaller proportions, but do not avoid great flavours because of certain health choices. With this mentality and way of life, I eat healthier meals during other days using core products with nutritional benefits. Just remember that you are what you eat and what you put in your body is important. However, we do not eat to survive, we live to eat… so do indulge in heavenly flavours and spoil yourself once in a while, after all we are human and have cravings. Furthermore, I have a couple of basic principles that I follow and have lived this way for over 10 years already and it a great platform to a balanced life:
1. Eat lots of dark green leaves and vegetables. These are high in vitamines (A, C, K and E), fiber and minerals. Also, the darker the lettuce leaf, the more nutrition it has. Spinach, celery, broccoli, cabbage, peas, brussel sprouts, herbs and mixtures of salad are all a part of my everyday diet. I incorporate these with proteins and use them in creative ways. They taste lovely and fresh especially when in season.
2. Eat lots of Good fat (omega 3 & 6): Fish, avocados, nuts/seeds and olive oil. Avocados are excellent sources of potassium and magnesium and vitamin B. At the moment I have 3 kg of avocados in my fridge and eat them everyday…yes I admit, I am avocado obsessed! They are perfect throughout the day and work in versatile ways. Fish is a great protein and can be prepared in so many ways, simple delicious! Nuts are also high in protein containing vitamins and minerals (zinc, iron, calcium, vitamin E) that make a quick snack.
3. Drink lots of water through out the day. This gives you healthy skin and cleanses your body and helps maintain the balance of body fluids.
4. Sleep enough & exercise. If you don’t, it shows on your face and you lack in energy. I believe sleeping and exercising is the fountain to youth.
5. Eat fruits & berries. During the summer time, I hand-pick blueberries, lingonberries, strawberries etc and freeze them so I get organic ones throughout the year. Berries are loaded with fiber and are an antioxidant that protects your body against inflammation. I eat 1 lemon per day by either squeezing it in hot or cold water. Hot lemon water mixed with ginger and a bit of honey is a perfect marriage and does wonders for a flu.
So, all in all I’ve noticed that following these five steps makes me not only feel better inside but also have an effect on the outside. It is easy to stay in shape and my skin is smooth with a natural glow. All this brings excess energy and honestly a good mood too. Forget about artificial and processed foods, make a bit of an effort and treat your body as if it is your temple. But keep in mind that life is short so don’t become too fixed in these “rules“, do enjoy all its wonderul sinful tastes!